|

Monday, May 15, 2006

Is "Hotmail" Muttar?

I have a hotmail email account, which I am switching away from. I don't know if it's like this in all locales, but I get popup ads just alongside my inbox that are unsavory.

It would seem that if there is another option for web-based email, it should be used, in line with the Gemara that states that one should not go by the women doing laundry in the river when there is another option, even if he does not gaze at the women.

That's why I switched my email account on this blog to gmail, which is Kosher (and much better anyway).

I have two gmail invites left. If anyone wants one to switch away from hotmail, or some other problematic one, email me.

9 Comments:

Blogger chardal said...

If you upgrade to the beta version, the ads are gone.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Bari said...

Thanks, Chardal.

12:08 PM  
Blogger Bari said...

Doesn't it cost $ to do that?

(Yes, I'm Jewish. I hope I haven't blown my identity based on that tidbit)

12:12 PM  
Anonymous yehuda said...

Chardal,how do you upgrade it?Bari I hear your point but so many people have my email adress including bussines contacts I am choses for hefsed mruba if I were to change it.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Bari said...

Yehuda,

a) You can upgrade for about $100 a year, I think.

b) If you get on gmail, they'll give you a rundown on how to switch over without too much hassle. I guess it depends on your circumstances though.

12:46 PM  
Blogger chardal said...

you can sign up for free here.

Keep in mind that it will change the whole user interface so if you like the old one you might want to instead download an image blocker. An image blocker stops the browser from downloading any images unless you right click on one and explisitly ask for it. You can get a image blocker here.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Bari said...

Thank you for your services, Chardal. You're hired.

1:17 PM  
Blogger chardal said...

Now start listening to me on hashkafa and you will be set ;)

1:46 PM  
Blogger Bari said...

Now start listening to me on hashkafa and you will be set

If your Hashkafos ever show up on the side of my inbox, I'll have to sign up for the gamma version.

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Hit Counters
SonyStyle.com Coupon